Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos
Top Tortilla Tips…
Don’t be daunted by making your own tortillas, they’re very simple and taste soooo much better than shop bought tortillas. You can also freezer them and pop them in the microwave to defrost as needed, or defrost overnight. If you’re not using all your tortillas on the day you use them, bring them back to life by warming them through in the microwave or a pan before enjoying them. This will make them soft again.
Another tip is to use boiling water for the easiest dough to work with.
These babies aren’t just great for tacos but really any meal that requires flat bread! I always make a big batch and use them for breakfast and lunch over the next few days, instead of bread.
Best-Ever Tacos (plant-based)
- 1 x head of cauliflower
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 1/2 cup soda water or beer
- oil for frying
- 190g bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 45ml olive oil
- 290ml boiling water
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 4 x tomatoes 4 x spring onion Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- Pop kettle onto boil
- Mix together the bread flour and baking powder and add a good amount of salt
- Add oil and 140ml of boiling water, mix well - be careful as water is HOT
- Leave for 2-3 minutes until it feels cool enough to handle
- Lightly flour a clear surface and knead the dough for a few minutes and then leave in a bowl for 1 hour to prove.
- Place a damp tea towel over the top of the bowl if required
- After 1 hour, add some flour to a board and lightly knead the dough
- Break off a palm size amount and push down and roll with a rolling pin, turning and rotating.
- Add straight into pan (no oil) and fry for 1 minute on each side
- Place a pan with oil on a medium high heat.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- To make the batter, mix all the dry ingredients together; smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chilli flakes and gram flour.
- Add soda water (or beer) to make a smooth batter.
- Toss the cauliflower in batter and transfer to the pan. Fry the cauliflower in batches for a few minutes until crispy on the outside. Transfer to baking tray and keep warm in oven whilst making salsa.
- Finely chop and mix together the fresh coriander, tomatoes and spring onions and add lime juice
- Mix the mayonnaise and chipotle paste together
- Fill the taco with fillings of choice.
- Avocado, salsa, battered cauliflower.
- Top with chipotle mayo .
- Add jalapenos and pomegranate seeds (optional)