I didn’t make my first lasagne until I was in my 30s. I don’t know what it was, but something about it felt complicated and for whatever reason I never made it.
It’s particularly odd because my Mum always made THE best lasagne. Her lasagne is the kind of food that can heal all manner of ills, so I really should have just learnt it from her sooner!
By the time we started making it for the restaurant, we were already plant-based, so we had to figure it out from scratch. When we did, we became a little lasagne obsessed! We changed the recipe every few months with the seasons - we had wild mushroom lasagne, squash and tomato lasagne, spinach and garlic cream lasagne… so many different delicious flavours, layered up with pasta and baked to perfection.
In this post I’m showing you how to make a classic style lasagne but plant-based. The recipe also uses our Sauce for Cheese Lovers to add a cheesy top to the dish. If you don’t have this, you can use your favourite plant-based cheese or sprinkle on some of the vegan parmesan alternative we showed you in the Bolognese video.
There are many different ways to approach making a vegan white sauce for your lasagne. In this post I’m showing you how to use white beans to make the sauce. This is a great style of white sauce to master as it’s packed with protein and fibre, so means you don’t need to worry about getting these things in the vegan mince alternative you choose.
I’d highly recommend pairing this dish with a fresh green salad dressed in a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.
The lasagne freezes really well, so why not make a big batch and stock up for some easy midweek dinners.
show me how
- Lasagne sheets
- Bolognese (see previous video/recipe on how to make )
- One pot of The Brook Sauce for Cheese Lovers (if you have it) or some vegan parmesan (see Bolognese post, as above)
- 1 can of white beans with water
- 100ml oat milk
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove
- Blend all the ingredients in a mixer to make a thick white sauce. Before blending, add salt and pepper to taste
- Start with a layer of bolognese at the bottom of the dish, spread evenly. Add a layer of white sauce on top.
- Layer the lasagne sheets on top of the white sauce
- Start the process again of layering the bolognese, white sauce and top with lasagne sheets (add more layers if you have a deeper dish)
- Pour our 'Sauce for Cheese Lovers' on top of the lasagne sheets and ensure the top layer is fully covered in the sauce.*
- Place in a pre-heated, fan assisted oven (uncovered) for 1 hour
Serve with a rocket or tomato salad and/or garlic bread.
*if you don't have our Sauce for Cheese Lovers, sprinkle the top with a vegan parmesan cheese alternative - see our Bolognese recipe for how to make your own!