Weekend Fakeaway: Teriyaki Noodles
But there are days when you really really want some fun-filled, flavour-packed food that feels like a treat. For me this plant-based recipe nails it.
It’s a real beast of a vegan dish with sticky, sweet sauce and burst of freshness. it’s also pretty quick and easy to make, in fact it’ll probably be ready faster than a takeaway PLUS you know what’s in it, which is always a bonus over ordering in!
Pimp your dish:
This works just as well as a fried rice dish if you don’t have noodles (or have them to hand).
Toast sesame seeds in a pan and sprinkle on top. Trust me, this is a game changer (tutorial in video below).
Experiment with different veg or just use up what you have in the fridge. Once it’s covered in that incredible teriyaki sauce it’ll taste amazing, whatever it is!
Add plant-based ‘chicken’ or other ‘meat’ if that’s your jam.
Use the sauce for other dishes, like teriyaki skewers, or an incredible teriyaki veg sandwich filling.
Watch the video below for the full tutorial and lots of other tips!
- 5 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 6 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp minced ginger (grated)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 peppers (1 green, 1 red)
- Handful of green beans
- Handful of baby corn
- 2 nests of wheat noodles (pre-cooked and cooled in water)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 chopped spring onions
- Small handful of chopped coriander
- Dried chili flakes (optional)
- Place pan on a medium heat and add all the ingredients for the sauce into the pan.
- Bring to a simmer, stir every now and then and leave to reduce for around 10 minutes.
- When thick and sticky the sauce is ready. Leave to one side.
- While that's cooking, slice your vegetables ready.
- In a dry frying pan / wok add sesame seeds on a medium high heat and stir until they are toasted (dark brown).
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- On a medium / high heat add a little oil to the frying pan. Ensure the pan is very hot before adding the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables and cook until slightly charred, then turn the heat down to medium.
- Once the sauce is reduced, add it to the frying pan / wok to coat vegetables. Turn the heat down to a light simmer and cover for a few minutes.
- Add the pre-cooked noodles into the frying pan / wok, mix, cover and warm through.
- Once noodles are warm and vegetables cooked, serve with chopped spring onions, chopped coriander, toasted sesame seeds, dried chili flakes (optional).